Back to Program Areas
- Cosmetology students are instructed in a variety of beauty-culture services to prepare them for
successful employment in the cosmetology field. Students perfect their skills by practicing on mannequins,
fellow students in the Cosmetology program, and members of the general public who patronize the in-school
cosmetology facilities. Instruction includes guest speakers and styling artists performing various demonstrations
and visits to supply houses and hair shows. Curriculum is linked with academic classes where students learn math,
science and communication skills. After two years of training, students must pass competency exams enabling them
to take the State Board of Cosmetology exam to become a licensed cosmetologist.
- Cosmetology students will have the opportunity to complete required Chemistry and Anatomy classes prior to
January of their senior year. Students will also be eligible to begin taking the State Board of Cosmetology exam
in January of their senior year. With board certification students will be eligible for early work release upon
completion of academic requirements.
Areas of Instruction Include:
- Hair Cutting and Styling
- Hair Relaxation and Curling Reformation
- Hair Coloring and Lightening
- Permanent Waving
- Scalp and Hair Treatments
- Manicure/ Pedicure
- Sculptured Nails
- Reception Duties/ Salon Management
Post-Secondary Education Opportunities
- Graduates of Collins Career Center's Cosmetology program may enter adult-education and technical-school
programs for Management Certification or specialized skills. Workshops and seminars are available for
cosmetologists to learn about new trends, materials, supplies, and techniques.
- College-degree opportunities are available for cosmetologists interested in sales or human-relations careers.
- Cosmetology program graduates may take the State Board of Cosmetology exam to become a licensed cosmetologist
in the state of Ohio.
- Other entry-level cosmetology careers with licensure include Nail Technicians, Company Technicians, and Sales
Related Occupations with Additional Education
- Esthetician, cosmetology instructor, stage artist, make-up artist